Tuesday, 27 November 2007

Tuesday

It would appear that this is rather more than a cold. I hesitate to call it flu, but I do have my suspicions. I have knit no more one or two rounds on a sock, which is probably quite a good indicator of how I am feeling. Surely it cannot last much longer, though.


A random thought here - regarding joining in the round, as at the beginning of a top down sock. I like long tail cast on in almost every situation, and for years I have been starting it with a slip knot, without ever really thinking about it. Recently I tried it without the slip knot - just a twisted loop at the beginning - and my goodness, what an improvement at the top of a sock

I've tried lots of methods of joining in the round. Working a couple of stitches with both the yarn tail and the working yarn held together, and crossing over the last and first stitches cast on - these are probably my favourite methods. Sometimes I've used both of them together. But the join has never looked as good as I would like.

Well, I think I have it sorted now. Long tail cast on, with no slip knot, just a twisted loop to start. Bring the first stitch cast on across to the RH needle, take the last stitch cast on over the top of the first stitch, across to the LH needle. And that is all. Knit on.


I still haven't heard anything more about the job interview. I am really on tenterhooks about this. On the one hand, it is good that they aren't calling me in for an interview right now because I certainly am not feeling very well. On the other hand, I really want the position....


It did take a degree of consideration, actually, thinking about returning to work. I've effectively been retired now for four years. I stopped work back in 2003 when I had a period of ill health following a broken ankle that didn't want to mend - I had a PE, and it put me completely out of action pretty effectively for a good while. But now I can think about a return to work, you see.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, that's quite a story, well done young man, and well done you, for being able to support him to be able to grow his independence again.I usually read your blog for the knitting content,but can relate a bit to this as I had a friend who had a similar thing happen to her son...(He is independent, married and with a child now!) I am a nurse, and yes, I knew there was no support, as there is no support for a lot of things...though that's not a good enough excuse. Headway run a home near me for brain-injured adults, and I am familiar with some of their work through my previous job. I think you are probably key in your son's recovery, not just by how you have been since his accident, but also what you gave him during his upbringing which has helped equip him to make the recovery he has. My heart goes out to you. Very best wishes to you all. Fran (Have to stay anon, as no blog!)

Kai said...

*hugs* My heart goes out to you. You're a great person Fiona. Wishing you all the best and hoping that everything works out as you want it.

Queen of the froggers said...

Well you certainly deserve that job! I hope you get an interview when you are better. As Fran said, family love and support was probably key to your son being where he is now. Best wishes to you. x

Lindsey said...

Oh, Fiona. So nice to hear that your son is doing so well, but I can't even imagine how hard all this must have been on you and your family.

I can't believe there is so little NHS support for care and treatment of brain injuries. I have a student who sustained a brain injury several years ago. I didn't know him before it, but by all accounts he was a completely different kid afterward. He is doing well today, but only after lots of support from home, from therapists, doctors, tutors, etc. That support has clearly been a vital and necessary part of his recovery. How terrible that this isn't the standard for everyone.

*Hugs* to you, and good luck with the job!