Thursday, 1 November 2007

Starting as I mean to continue

I have finished the Iro Scarf. I love it.


This is about 6 1/2" wide and nearly 9' long. I can wind it around my neck twice and there are still good long ends - in fact I can drape it twice around my neck and still throw the ends over the opposite shoulder, if you know what I mean. Once around my neck, and both ends hang to my knees at the front - I'm just under 5' 4", if that's any help.

This took 2 and a bit skeins of Noro Iro in shade #47, because that's the amount I had left over from making my husband's pullover. It is very simple - 20 stitches on 8mm needles (US #11) and work in plain old garter stitch until the yarn runs out. If you only want to buy 2 skeins, but you still want a good long scarf, I suggest that you do as Jared did and cast on just 17 stitches.


The colours are stunning, subtle and beautiful.

I've also removed Lizard Ridge from the 'set aside' list. When I am ready to start again properly - which will not be just yet! - I have in mind instead something like this, which I think is absolutely beautiful. I've been looking thoughtfully at log cabin patterns for a while, and seeing this has completely made my mind up.

Lizard Ridge is just gorgeous. It is a work of art, truly - but I have been coming across comments about the fabric not being firm enough, to the extent that some people had decided to felt the whole thing, with absolutely stunning results, by the way. However I think that would just about kill my washing machine, so that wouldn't be happening. Also, sometimes people were not happy about the look of the reverse side, and were lining it.

This log cabin throw is almost reversible, as it is garter stitch - and the fabric will be firmer too, again because it is garter stitch. And I love garter stitch anyway. So the log cabin it will be - I shall consider what colour to use for the banding nearer the time.

Today I'm going to work some more on the Picot Tiger sock, and pick up the Swirly Scarf again. I am wondering if I shall be able to get either of these finished over the weekend. Once I've got the scarves under control, I shall pick up Key West or Kauni again.

I find that I'm looking forward to that.

2 comments:

Nevisknitter said...

The kureyon log cabin throw looks stunning. You seem to be making good headway on all your projects too.

Queen of the froggers said...

I love the colours in your scarf. I too think I prefer the log cabin blanket to Lizard ridge.