Wednesday, 21 November 2007

Marathon

I almost forgot - I finally finished the Foggy Socks, aka the Really Large Socks or the Marathon Socks. They don't look wildly inspiring, but hopefully their intended recipient will be pleased with them.


My husband likes the look of the way the leg is worked, and has asked for his next pair to be made in the same way. I am less enthusiastic, as k2 p2 rib is slower than stocking stitch, but I expect I will do it anyway.

So - these are men's crew socks, made with three skeins of Angel Yarns sock yarn, colourway Foggy, and 2.5mm needles.

This is a variation on my basic pattern. These fit men's UK shoe size 12 - 13, and I cast on 72 stitches. I use 64 stitches for sizes 8 - 10.

The leg is worked in k2 p2 ribbing for 80 rounds, then 10 rounds stocking stitch, before a straightforward heel flap and heel turn worked over 36 stitches. The toe shaping is started after 74 rounds have been worked after the pickup along the sides of the heel flap, and it takes 30 rounds.

Decrease rounds are worked at rounds 1, 5, 8, 11 and then on alternate rounds until there are 8 stitches on each needle, or 32 in total if you aren't using dpns. One round plain, then decrease on every round until just 8 stitches are left in total, and graft as for the basic socks.

I've finished the Tartan Scarf from Rowan 42, by the way, and it is just so pretty. I still have to block it - ok, more like wave the steam iron at it - and then I'll put up a picture.

No comments: