Wednesday, 13 June 2007

Progress!

I have finished the Grasshopper socks! This is a good thing, as the June kit is due to be sent out tomorrow. Hopefully it will be here well before we move - less than two weeks now. We finally have a firm date agreed, this is a great relief.

I haven't got a picture of the socks just yet, because it is very difficult photographing one's own feet, particularly when nobody has yet worked out the delay function on the camera. But these are lovely socks. The yarn is lush, as I have already mentioned, and the colours are beautiful, positively jewel- like. Add an interesting construction and a pleasant easy lace stitch, and you have a good combination.

The Illusion sweater was actually tried on this evening in a manner of speaking, with only one sleeve, and with the help of a lot of safety pins holding the seams in place. This was because I suddenly doubted whether it was going to fit - perhaps I should have made the small size instead of the medium? But no, all is well. The medium is going to fit nicely.

I've changed my mind about the next two projects though. The Tuscany shawl will have to wait. Instead, I am going to make Queen of the Waves, in some rather nice Kauni yarn in shades of cream, grey and soft browns. I know this is not very nautical, but I do like my neutrals.

I haven't wound it up yet. I was planning to get that done this evening, but things keep happening. I am really looking forward to using this yarn, I have seen some beautiful finished objects worked with it. In the skein it does seem a little rough, but I have confidence that it will soften with washing.

And I have decided what the next garment will be, once Illusion is finished. I'm going to make Jessie, from Debbie Bliss' Summer Essentials book - this will be worked in some handspun chocolate brown cashmere that I bought last year. Lovely! And a quick, easy knit as well.

2 comments:

Heather said...

Well done for finishing the socks.

I look forward to hearing your opinions on the Kauni yarn. The colours it comes in look fabulous and it would be lovely to know if it softens up with washing.

Good luck with the move!

Kai said...

yay! finished socksies! :)

I'm looking forward to seeing your QoW as well in the Kauni. Sounds lovely.