One more quick project finished. I had four and a bit skeins of the Jo Sharp Desert Garden left when from the top down raglan, and I thought a nice straightforward cotton hat would be just the thing.
The pattern is the Bucket Hat from Bonne Marie and it is a very quick and easy knit. Impeccably written, I should add, as always with this designer. She is a lady for whom I have great respect - her patterns are flattering, reliable, and really very good indeed.
So, here is the hat in the sunshine, looking rather washed out. It isn't really floating in mid-air, it is sitting on top of my button tin, which has the same diameter as my head - although not the same shape, I hasten to add.
And another shot with me wearing it. This time the colour is true.
The pattern comes in three sizes - I made the Medium, which has a finished measurement of 22" around. Now, my head actually measures 23 1/2", and I originally cast on for the Large size, which is 24". I had completed the brim and about an inch of the body of the hat when I realised that, really, this was going to be too big. So I frogged it all - believe me, I didn't want to, because garter stitch with thick cotton on small needles is hard on the hands, and I would have it all to do again.
But if it's worth doing at all, then it's worth doing right. So I frogged it and cast on again immediately for the Medium size, which fits me nicely. After all, knitting stretches.
This took two and a bit skeins of the Desert Garden, so that's more than 120 yards, but less than 180. Say 150 yards. If I make it again, as I well might, I will work another couple of rows in the side of the hat. But, as I said before, I do have a rather big head.
Oh yes - and 'Paddington' because my husband says it looks like Paddington Bear's Hat.
I have just cast on for Flicca, by the way.