Sunday, 20 May 2007

Just in case

Just in case anyone reading this is also knitting Flicca - you need to go and have a look here - the May 20 entry.

You might remember that I had been wondering about the depth of the armscye, well, I actually emailed Anna about it, and it turns out that there was indeed a typo.

I have finished the knitting of Flicca now - it took me a little while to obtain a shoulder seam that I was happy with, and eventually I reworked all the shoulders with short row shaping and used a three needle bind off. Following that, it was a surprisingly long task working the collar and edgings, but I am pleased with the result.

All that is left now is to set in the sleeves, seam the underarm and side seams, and neaten the inside neck edge with velvet ribbon. I usually say that the finishing of a garment takes as long as knitting one of the pieces - in this case, it is taking rather longer. But as always, it is worth taking the time, because the finish makes all the difference.


On another note, I have been thinking with some ambivalence about the current STR socks. I am somewhat worried that this lacy fabric will be just too stretchy, and also that the colours of the yarn tend to be lost in the lace. It has crossed my mind that I could make a wonderful pair of socks with this yarn if I just worked the pattern in stocking stitch - because this yarn really is lovely.

However, I keep coming back to the fact that it will do me good to step out of my comfort zone here, and that is what the sock club is about, for me at least. So I think I will stay with the Grasshopper pattern.

Well, probably.....

No comments: