Sunday, 29 April 2007

Motivation

I'm fairly zooming along with the Trekking XXL #sock. This is partly because of the gorgeous and unpredictable colours - they really are lovely - and partly because I am very motivated to finish.

The colours speak for themselves - except that it is becoming obvious that I need a better camera. Here are some samples. They are a bit blurry, I know, but you can still see the way the colours change.


I just love this. Anyway, I'm about to turn the heel on the second sock. If I don't finish the sock today, then it will be tomorrow.

The reason for this sudden burst of progress arrived in the post a couple of days ago.

It is the April shipment from Blue Moon. The yarn is new - its called Silkie, and it is lovely to handle, quite wonderfully soft. It has nowhere near the twist of the usual Blue Moon yarns. I am wondering slightly how well it will wear - but the 19% silk content will help, of course.

Initially it looks thicker than most sock yarn - more like sportweight, but the recommended gauge is 9 stitches to the inch, on size 1 needles. That's a fairly firm tension, definitely. We shall see.

One thing that I did notice whilst winding it, is that this yarn is very airy and light. Running through my fingers under tension, it seemed to become much thinner. So I would guess that this will work up nicely at the recommended tension - after all, Blue Moon do know what they are about! - and that it will make a lovely bouncy thick fabric.

The colour is called Walking on the Wild Tide, and it's even prettier wound up, if possible.


See what I mean? - in a blurry sort of way, of course.


I really, really want to cast on with this - the pattern looks intriguing too, more about that in another post - but I cannot bring myself to have more than one pair of socks on the needles. So, I absolutely have to finish the Trekking 100 socks.

Motivation indeed.

3 comments:

Kai said...

The Blue Moon is absolutely stunning!

I'm wishing I'd signed up to the club now..

The Trekking is definitely working out well.. I love the colours. :)

Queen Frogger said...

I like the Trekking colours, better than the Blue Moon ones!

Helen said...

Those are beautiful colours in those yarns.