Sunday, 1 April 2007

Beginning...

The very first post. It's been suggested to me - many, many times actually - that I should consider having a blog of my own. So now, here I am.

And now that I am here, where to begin?

In common with a lot of other people, I have several things on the needles at the moment, and a whole lot more that I can't wait to get started on.

One thing is a constant however - socks.

Right now, it's the February sock kit from Blue Moon Fiber Arts Sock Club. It's the first time I've used this yarn and I approve of it, it's soft and cushiony underfoot, and the colours are just lovely. The Sock Club pattern is definitely not something I would ever have thought to try myself - ribbed all over, cables on the leg, and garter stitch short row toes and heels - but I find that I like it, and I know that I will wear these socks, as they are very comfortable. Most unexpected, really, when I think how far afield this pattern is from the socks that I usually knit. But after all, joining this Sock Club is about trying new things, at least that's how I think of it - and that will necessarily mean stepping outside the comfort zone. In this case, with very pleasing results.

It's easy to fall into a rut with something basic like sock knitting. I almost always make socks top down, with a traditional heel flap, and either a pointed toe with those beautiful spiral decreases (from Nancy Bush's Knitting Vintage Socks) or else a straightforward wedge toe with graduated decreases, grafted side to side at the end of the toe. Sometimes, if the socks are for me, I work a short row heel and toe - I like Patricia Gibson-Roberts method best , her book Simple Socks: Plain and Fancy was something of a revelation to me - I had always thought I couldn't wear short row heels comfortably until I read her book. And then I finish the toe with a decorative Greek cast-off along the top - quick, easy, functional, attractive.

So, everything about this Blue Moon sock is new to me. And I am glad I tried it.

Tomorrow, I will work out how to post pictures here, and perhaps also play around a little with the way this page looks online. I am very non-techie these days - so that could be interesting......

2 comments:

Heather said...

Welcome! I am looking forward to the pictures too.

LittleBerry said...

So glad you've got a blog Fiona.... I thought I was seeing things before as I'd looked a couple of weeks ago and saw you didn't have one....